svg cuts banner

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Place in Time- Part One

Afternoon

Y'all,
I hope your having a really great day! I always start mine with feeding the cat and dog then getting myself a cup of coffee. I have been on a Gloria's Jeans Butter Toffee kick lately. Go feed the dog or cat and then grab yourself a cup of coffee. I hope your ready for this because this one is a long one.

This involves the Dress Shop SVG kit from SVG cuts. I was looking at the hat box and my mind has been dreaming up a lot of things with that but the one I focused on right now was a half round vintage suitcase.
 I started with the top and bottom round pieces and took out a node or two then altered the curve of the line so it was flat on the bottom. Since I didn't want it to be huge, I made it smaller. I also added score lines to the bottom side pieces and a few extra holes here and there to add my handle.  The handle I made myself. Easy Peasy gang, just think of it as shapes again. A long rectangle with rounded edges for the handle and a couple of short rectangles welded together on either end and bam ya have a handle. Put some holes in the ends of the small rectangles then make sure you do that in the side pieces as well.  I added a extra piece on top for a more vintage look. I used the Summer Holiday SVG Kit as well for the latch and I think you could adapt it to use the handle from that kit if you wanted. I wanted it to look like the half circle suitcases I was so fascinated with when I was a young teen. The Latch is the same size it imports as it worked well with the size I made the suitcase. I used the insert pieces from the hat box but took out the holes.
When I put the box together I tried to use Mary's new method where you put the insert on top of the side pieces from the inside??? I think this would work great if your not altering the whole design a bit. Lets just say I sort of did the same as Mary's new method but instead of sealing the side pieces I carefully glued it around before I sealed the end. I confess I am box challenged. This method doesn't work for everyone but I find I throw a lot less out if I glue it around my bottom of the box first then glue the end together.
Once you have your bottom of your box glued then add the handle next so you can hide the brad backs with the insert pieces for the box. The insert pieces add a lot of strength to the box so make sure you used them. I got a little crazy with mine and the whole inside is pretty as well as the outside, matching up the panels and making sure the back inside was pretty just like the outside.
Here is where I should have changed mine a bit and that is ok because you can do it to yours.
On the bottom of the box is two hinges. (small rounded rectangle with four holes and a cut across the middle) What I did was put the top of the box on then glued the hinge half's on either side that way I could use my small hole punch to make the holes for  the brads.. but I had already glued the insert on the bottom in place so there was no way I could hide the back of the brads. Don't do that! do the hinges then put your inserts in place. To get the aged metallic look I used Chocolate American craft card stock. Then after it cut and before I took the paper off the mat I inked it with Tim Holtz Vintage Photo ink and Brilliance Gold ink using a sponge. I did that with the latch too. I added some Bronze metal adhesive nails to the latch and the hinges.

When you want something to look vintage you really can't go wrong with using Graphic 45 papers. The Collection I used is one of my favorites called Ladies Dairy.  I used a soft pink 1/4 in ribbon and tied it around the handle with one of Graphic 45 keys they made. I also just noticed somewhere recently they made some silver ones like that.. Going to half to get my hands on some of those too. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to make something and thought I wish they had made these is silver. Now if I could just get Epiphany Crafts to make some of their charms in bronze that would be awesome!!!!
I know you noticed the hat rack and the hat as well in these photos  but you'll have to wait till Part two of this couple of posts for me to tell you how I made those as well. They are kits from SVGCUTS as well. I will give you all the details soon. I think your going to be surprised at what kits I used but then if you've read some of my blog before maybe not. Till the next blog post... in a few days... Thank you so much for stopping by and reading my blog and Happy Craftin' Y'all!
                                                                                               Blessings Sharalyn
Kits Used:
Dress Shop
Silent Night SVG Kit
Summer Holiday SVG Kit

Supplies Used:
Graphic 45 Ladies Diary Collection
American Crafts Solid Core Card Stock, Chocolate
Tim Holtz Distress ink, Vintage Photo
Brilliance Gold Ink
Graphic 45 key
K& Company Bronze Adhesive Nails
Bronze Small Brads
Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive
 Stampin up Soft Suede Marker (faux stitch lines)

No comments:

Post a Comment