svg cuts banner

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A Frightful Night!




Mornin' Y'all!!!!!
It is that time again and SVG cuts is having a contest!!! I really wasn't going to enter this time as I
have been trying to get better and work on some much needed gifts for next month. Then this idea struck and well the rest is history! Now I started this lamp and got it about done and just quit, I didn't like it. Something was wrong it just wasn't working for me. 2am night before last I woke up after having a dream were I could see what was bothering me and how to change the design. Yep I dream about making things... crazy I know.

 I should say that I think my hubby is a little less than thrilled with this design. He does however like the spider. I think it is a little spooky for him. Any way I started with the tall apothecary jar from Toil and Trouble. I cut the jar at the size it imports but on the top piece made a hole for my saved tubes from the center of foil and plastic wrap. ( I even have my daughter saving stuff like that for me, lol)


I covered the top half of the tube with a 12x6 piece of Black AC Card Stock. I then glued the tube to the inside of the bottle and filled the jar with something to weight down the lamp. Slide the octagon piece over the tube and glue it in place. I am not sure where I got that tube, it may have been a heavy duty foil roll one of the long ones you use for turkeys. Then I cut a 8inch long 1/4 in dowel and painted it black. When it dried I used a sliver ink pad to add distressing to it. I drilled a hole in the dowel so I could put my wire hook in that I made through the dowel. Drill a hole in the tube as well to put the dowel through the tube. The wire I got at Walmart in the Jewelry section. I added silver ink to the wire as well.

Now this is where I redid the whole lamp. I made the tall jar but used my silhouette program to cut off about a 1 or more of the top of the side pieces. Then I changed the nodes to make the top angled at the gluing point like Mary did with the original. I made a square and angled it as well to make the triangles for the cut outs of the lamp. I used the accent pieces as my base and centered them down the middle of that then once the pieces were where I wanted them I deleted the accent pieces. Group them together so you can move that around where you want. To make the vellum for the inside I duplicated the bottom piece of the jar and took out the triangles. I cut that out of the vellum then cut off the bottom and side flaps with scissors.
The top of the jar makes the top and bottom pieces of the lamp. Those were inked with the silver ink pad as well. Glue the bottom pieces onto the lamp. Do use the octagon piece for the bottom of the jar as that is what your battery operated tea candle will sit on. Then make another lid for the jar use it for the top. I didn't glue that down as it is a tight fit and you'll need to get to your light somehow. LOL The hook top is the octagon shape cut in half then two circles welded to the top, glue that onto the top of your lamp. 

As I do a lot, I cut thin strips of black paper for vines and added the leaf pieces from the Gothic Flourishes SVG Collection. I just cut those apart with scissors and arranged it the way I liked. Now Mr. Spider is made using the cauldron from Party on Elm Street SVG Kit. I just turned the cauldron upside down and added the spider legs to the folds on the caldron. I made two of each leg for both strength and so I could leave the end open and glue it onto the jar. Add the accents and no one knows that those are glued that way. I also added an extra bottom in the accent color to finish off the spider. Take about ten red Rhinestones and glue those to the front of the spider so it looks like eyes. I made another one like the last only bit smaller to drag off the leg bone from Mr. Skeleton.
The Skeleton is from Spooky Soiree SVG Kit I just didn't attach the leg bone so I could use if to look as if the spider was dragging it away. So yes I can make it look a bit spooky although I will probably not have the spider dragging the leg bone away on Halloween night as that might scare my youngest grandson Wyatt. He is only three so I would rather not scar him this early. No need to let him know right now his grandma is weird.

So that is it on my lantern, I have entered it into the contest and it would be awesome to win but who knows? Thanks so much for stopping by and visitn' with me. There are lots of great SVG Kits and collections on SVG Cuts. Go have a look and while your there say Hi to the Newlyweds! Thanks again and Happy Crafting Y'all!

SVG Kits and Collections Used:
Toil and Trouble SVG Kit
Party on Elm Street SVG Kit
Spooky Soriee SVG Kit
Gothic Flourishes SVG Collection


American Craft Card Stock-White
American Craft Card Stock -Black
Graphic 45- Steampunk Spells
Graphic 45 - Happy Haunting
Martha Stewart Paper Pack- Elegant Witch Designer Paper
Brilliant Silver ink pad
Stampin up Card Stock Vellum
Red Rhinestones
Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive
Screw brads are from Michael's

No comments:

Post a Comment